It might be a mouthful to say, but each savory bite of this creation is certain to make it a fall favorite in your household. Get yourself a smallish pumpkin, rustle up the ingredients, and have fun making a roasted stuffed pumpkin for your family. You’ll find the directions and a list of ingredients below the how-to video.
- 1- to 3-pound pumpkin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium, day-old baguette (cubed)
- ¼ pound Gruyere cheese (cut into small cubes)
- ¼ pound Fontina cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 6 slices bacon (crispy, cooked, and chopped)
- 6 green onions (white and green parts chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed and finely diced)
- ¼ cup fresh chives (snipped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (pulled from stems)
- ½ cup heavy cream (a little extra won’t hurt)
Preheat your oven to 350º.
Next, cut the top off the pumpkin and scoop out the insides (fibers and seeds). Salt and pepper the inside of the pumpkin.
Cook your bacon and set aside to cool.
Using a small pan, heat the butter over medium heat. After it melts, add the green onions. Cook those onions until they are soft (about four minutes). Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
Crumble up the bacon and then mix it with the bread, cheeses, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Add snipped chives and thyme as well as the cream and mix all together. If the mixture isn’t wet, be sure to add more cream.
Fill the pumpkin to the top with the stuffing mixture. Put the lid on the pumpkin and place it on a greased sheet or baking dish. Then place on the center rack in your oven for 2 hours.
30 minutes before it is done cooking, take off the lid and let the stuffing brown.
Serve and enjoy.