Cheddar Corn Chowder with Bacon
Soup’s on! Rustle up your list of ingredients, and in no time at all you’ll be serving your family this delicious, hearty soup. Directions and more below the how-to video.
- 6 strips center-cut bacon (chopped)
- 2 small yellow onions (chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can use gluten-free if needed)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes (diced)
- 12-ounce wedge of cauliflower (stem intact)
- 1 pound frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
Chop your onions, mince the garlic, and dice the potatoes. Then, place the bacon in a large Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until cooked and crispy. Remove bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside for later.
Drain bacon grease from the Dutch oven. Then, sauté the onions and garlic in the Dutch oven until they are soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Sprinkle flour over the onions and add turmeric and thyme. Stir to combine the ingredients.
Add broth, potatoes and stir. Scrape the bottom of the pot to release the caramelized bits on the bottom. Bring the pot to boil then lower the heat and allow to simmer. Add the cauliflower, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
In a small, microwave-safe dish, add 4 ounces (2/3 cup) corn with a splash of water and defrost for 1 minute.
Remove the lid from the pot and transfer the cauliflower, 1 cup of the soup, and warmed corn to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Transfer puree back to the pot.
Add the remainder of the corn. Then add the milk and cheese.
Mix and simmer for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with reserved bacon pieces.