Honeybees are incredible creatures. They pollinate our crops, give us honey, and with a little help from Coastal, you can have your own hive. Today John and the Coastal crew share some tips on how to use a smoker to calm bees and encourage them to retreat deeper into the hive for your safety.
John and the Coastal crew share tips on using a smoker to calm a hive of bees.
How to Use a Smoker
- First, open the top of the smoker.
- Crumple up some paper and add it to the inside of the smoker.
- Add a small handful of Harvest Lane Honey smoker pellets on top of the paper. Be sure to use the correct pellets. Don’t use barbecue or wood-stove pellets that could contain harmful additives.
- Light a corner of the paper. Once the pellets ignite, blow out the flame and close the lid. Start pumping the bellows to get the smoke going.
Coastal Tip: You can also use Harvest Lane Honey burlap in place of the pellets and paper.
- To put the smoker out, plug the nozzle of the smoker with a wet rag.
Coastal is Your Beekeeping Headquarters
You’ll find Harvest Lane Honey beekeeping gear for newcomers as well as pros at your West Coast-owned and operated Coastal. Stop by your local store and our experts will help you find everything you need.