Revision Date: 08/04/20
Coastal Farm & Home Supply LLC, an Oregon limited liability company, (“Coastal” or “we”) offers a wide variety of farm, ranch, homesteader, and country lifestyle products as well as helpful information about farming, ranching, homesteading and country lifestyle activities, on our website, www.coastalcountry.com, (“Site”). Visitors to the Site, including you, can use the Site to access and interact with this content.
This Privacy Statement answers questions about our privacy practices, especially those practices related to the collection and use of data that identifies you, directly or indirectly, as an individual person (“personal information” ).
Any user under the age of eighteen (18) years old may only use this Site with the consent and oversight by a parent or legal guardian. However, this Site is not intended for any use by individuals under the age of thirteen (13) years old.
1. WHAT DATA DOES COASTAL COLLECT FROM SITE VISITORS?
1.2. REQUESTED DATA. In certain cases, we will ask to collect additional data from you. In particular:
• If you want to create an account on the Site, we will prompt you to provide your first name, last name, email address, phone number, zip code and an account password. You may choose to also provide (but will not, in order to create an account, be required to provide) your preferred shipping address, preferred payment methods, and information about your interests and hobbies.
• If you want to purchase a product on the Site, we will prompt you to create an account (which will require you to input the information identified in the bullet list above), log in to an existing account, or complete your purchase as a “guest” (which will require you to input the information identified in the bullet above, except that you won’t need to create an account password). In any case, when you are ready to purchase, you will be re-directed to a third-party payment processor, which processor will ask you to enter your credit card, billing, and shipping information. Your credit card information will be converted using a “tokenization” process with Coastal’s payment processor, meaning that Coastal does not store your payment information.
• If you want to sign up to receive our content, event information, or product promotions via email, we will prompt you to provide your first and last name, email address, and zip code.
• If you want to enter a promotion or complete a customer survey, you may be prompted to enter your first and last name, email address and mailing address. Sometimes you may also be prompted to provide information about your preferences (e.g., your interest in potential future products to be sold on the Site) or your habits (e.g., the frequency with which you visit our stores). To understand what information is requested as part of your participation in a particular promotion or survey, refer to the details of that promotion or survey, or contact us.
• If you want to contact us using the “Contact Us” or a similar button on the Site, an email message (with our email address populated in the “to” field) will be automatically created for you. You can also communicate with us using the Site’s live, instant message chat feature. We will receive any information you choose to send to us in these manners.
• If you want to complete any of the forms we provide on the Site – such as a donation request form – we will request your first and last name, organization name (if applicable), email address, phone number, and other information related to your request. We will receive any information you chose to provide on the form.
2. HOW DOES COASTAL USE DATA COLLECTED FROM SITE VISITORS? We use data collected from you in the following ways:
2.4. TO IMPROVE THE SITE ITSELF. We use data collected (usually through clicks and cookies) about your interactions with the Site to identify trends in the popularity of features, to detect security incidents and bugs, and to stop fraudulent or illegal activity.
2.6. TO EXERCISE OUR LEGAL RIGHTS. Where legally required or permitted, we will use data collected from you to respond to court orders or otherwise participate in the legal process.
Additionally, Coastal may use de-identified or aggregated data collected about all of our website visitors in ways permitted by law but not described above. In general, de-identified information is information that does not directly or indirectly identify you. Aggregate information is information about a group of users, from which individual identities have been removed.
3. DOES COASTAL SHARE USERS’ DATA WITH OTHERS? We share data collected from you through the Site with the third-parties listed below in this Section 3. In each case, we only authorize the third-party to use your personal information for the purpose identified below, or for their internal use. We do not authorize such third parties to otherwise use, disclose or sell your personal information.
3.1. DELIVERERS. When you place a product order with us, we share your shipping information with third-party delivery entities, such as the USPS and UPS, so that the deliverer can transport the product to you.
3.2. PAYMENT PROCESSORS; FRAUD DETECTION. We use payment processers to handle any fees (including sales tax collection) you submit to us (such as the fee you must pay in order to purchase a product). When you click to submit payment, the Site will link you to such a processor, and our Site will alert the processor that you want to submit payment to Coastal. All sensitive payment information, such as credit or debit card number and expiration date, will be submitted directly to the processor and will not be accessible to us. Similarly, we share your information with third-party providers in connection with identity verification and fraud and theft prevention.
3.3. WEB HOST. We use a third-party web host to host data and operate the Site. In performing its services, the host may have access to your personal information.
3.4. CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. We use a third-party platform to manage our online catalog, page content, page forms, and other functionality on the Site. In performing its services, the content management system may have access to your personal information.
3.5. ORDER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. We use a third-party platform to manage all information related to orders and customers. In performing its services, the order management system may have access to your personal information.
3.6. CUSTOMER SERVICES PROVIDERS. When you initiate a customer service request, we may disclose to certain service providers personal information to the extent they need such information to process your request or assist you with resolving any issues.
3.7. EMAIL MANAGERS. In order to send you marketing messages, we share your name and email address with our third-party email distributor. The third-party does not use your email address or other personally identifiable information for their own business or any other business.
3.10. DATA ANALYZERS. We share data with data aggregation and analytics software providers to enable us to monitor and improve the Site. For example, these providers help us track clicks and taps on the Site (so we can understand which pages on the Site most interest visitors) and how long users stay on the Site (so we can understand how to make the Site more appealing).
3.11. MERGERS & SALES. If we undergo a merger or sale, we will share collected data if and as permitted by law. Except as described above, Coastal does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with other people or companies.
4. HOW LONG DOES COASTAL KEEP DATA? We will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement. However, even after such personal information is deleted, we may retain data that does not constitute personal information (including de-identified or aggregated information) for our business purposes, such as creating internal reports that assist our decisions about product offerings and our improvement of the Site.
5. HOW DOES COASTAL PROTECT COLLECTED DATA? We use physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the privacy of the data we collect from you through the Site, and we test and update these safeguards on an ongoing basis. With respect to personal information, these safeguards include limiting the employees who can access it, and training employees about the importance of maintaining privacy.
6. WHAT IF I VISIT OTHER WEBSITES? This Privacy Statement applies only to your interactions with the Site. If you link to other websites from the Site, be sure to carefully review the privacy statement of such other websites.
8. INFORMATION FOR USERS WHO ARE CALIFORNIA CONSUMERS. In addition to the other information provided in this Privacy Statement, Coastal wishes to provide the information in this Section 8 to users who are California consumers. For purposes of this Section 8, a “California consumer” is a natural person who is in California for other than a temporary purpose (or who is domiciled in California and is outside of California for only a temporary purpose), and “personal information” includes all data deemed “Personal Information” under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
8.1. YOUR RIGHTS. If you are a California consumer, you have certain rights with respect to the personal information we collect and hold about you, which rights you may exercise by contacting us using the information provided below. In particular:
• In certain circumstances, you have the right to have personal information of yours that is under our control deleted.
• We cannot discriminate against you based on the fact that you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA. In general, this means we cannot, just because you have exercised your rights, deny you goods or services; charge you a different price or rate for goods or services; provide you a different level or quality of goods or services; or suggest that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
8.2. ACTIVITY IN PREVIOUS 12 MONTHS.
• Sales. In the 12 months prior to the Effective Date, we have not sold users’ personal information.
• Collections. In the 12 months prior to the Effective Date, we have collected personal information from the following categories:
All of the personal information listed in this Section 8.2 was collected from you (or your device) for the business or commercial purposes identified in Section 2 above. This personal information was shared with deliverers, payment processors, shipping companies, content management platforms, order management platforms, data analyzers, email distributors, and our web host (as further described in Section 3 above). Please note, in particular, that credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information is collected by Coastal only in the limited sense described in Section 1.2 and 2.1 above, and, except as described above, such information is not stored by Coastal.
9. WHAT IF THERE IS A DISPUTE? This Privacy Statement and your use of the Site are governed by the laws of the state of Oregon, United States of America, without regard to Oregon’s conflict of laws rules. Any action arising out of or relating to this Agreement must be brought in Lane County Circuit Court of the State of Oregon or, subject to applicable jurisdictional requirements, in the United States District Court for the District of Oregon. You and Coastal consent to the jurisdiction of such courts (and of the appropriate appellate courts) in any such action or proceeding and waive any objection to such venue. You may only resolve disputes with us on an individual basis, and may not bring a claim as a plaintiff or a class member in a class, consolidated, or representative action. Class arbitrations, class actions, private attorney general actions, and consolidation with other arbitrations aren’t allowed.
10. WILL THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT BE CHANGED? We will update this Privacy Statement from time to time. These updates may be done for any reason and without notice to you. We may or may not email you if we make material changes, so we encourage you to regularly check the “Effective Date” of the statement posted on the Site to be sure you are aware of any updates. The provisions contained in this Privacy Statement supersede all previous notices or statements regarding our privacy practices.
11. WHAT IF A SITE VISITOR WANTS TO CONTACT YOU? If after reading this Privacy Statement you have comments, complaints, or additional questions, please contact us using any of the following methods: